We’re going to MCM Comiccon in October, and the cosplay bug is enveloping the household. Lady M is ransacking fabric shops and swearing over the sewing machine, while I’ve been experimenting with prop making and customisation.
Lady M has been engaging with various groups online as mothermafiacosplay – she’s definitely the more socially adept of the two of us in that arena – while I quietly assemble or build components.
Yesterday I broke out the hot glue gun for the first time and decided to make a wand. I’m not sure what or when it’ll see the light of day, but it was a good exercise to get used to how the glue gun works.
The basics of the prop are simple. I took a double spread of a magazine and rolled it from one corner to make a wand shape. I did a second smaller one and inserted it to add strength, and then used the hot glue gun to draw rings and criss-crossing patterns up and down the length of it.
I also sealed the open top of the wand with a glue blob, and will now be painting and drybrushing and detailing to see what works. I’m not sure where I’m going with the colour schemes yet, but will see what suggests itself as I go.
The second project is a repaint of a steampunk-style pistol as a Harley Quinn props, so there should be a lot of red and black involved in that.
It’s all a good distraction from everything else. The characters I’m aiming to take to the con are: Karnak of the Inhumans, a gender-bent Harley Quinn, and an escapee from Azkaban – so no pressure or anything…